Your KMb plan should address the following elements:
- Key message and relevance
- Objective or goal
- Targeted knowledge users
- Overview of their context or needs
- Level of engagement in research and KMb
- Planned KMb activities
- Description of activities
- Appropriateness for your knowledge users
- Budget and resources needed to implement KMb plan
- Expected impact of research and KMb
- Description of KMb evaluation strategy
KMb plan guides and templates
To find useful KMb plan guidelines, please refer to the following templates.
- Knowledge mobilization plan form - Ontario Centre of Excellence for Child and Youth Mental Health
This document is a KMb plan model including all the questions to ask yourself to plan your KMb strategy: What? Why? Who? How? When? Impact?
- Knowledge Translation Planning Template - The Hospital for Sick Children
This document is a template with a set of checkboxes that can be used to develop knowledge mobilization plans for research. It was developed to be apply to all areas of research.
- Knowledge Translation (KT) Planning Primer - Public Health Agency of Canada
This document is a tool designed to help you share knowledge with confidence and ease. It reviews the process of knowledge sharing and offers worksheets to guide you through the planning process.
- Guide to Knowledge Translation Planning at CIHR: Integrated and End-of-Grant Approaches CIHR
In this guide, you will learn more about the CIHR definitions for end-of-grant KT and integrated KT, relevant factors related to KT, a worksheet for grant application KT plans and examples of strong research project KT plans.
Learn more about how to write a KMb plan
To get more information or advice on key questions to consider when planning your KMb activities, you can refer to the following websites:
- Knowledge Mobilization Toolkit - Ontario Centre of Excellence for Child and Youth Mental Health
- Innovation to Implementation: A Practical Guide to Knowledge Translation in Health Care - Mental Health Commission of Canada -
- Guidelines for Effective Knowledge Mobilization - SSHRC
- How to Prepare a Knowledge Translation Plan - SickKids Foundation
- How to write a winning impact summary and pathway to impact - Fast Track Impact
- Questing you way to a knowledge mobilization strategy - Carleton University