The goal of the EDI Action Plan is to identify strategies and actions that strengthen institutional commitment to EDI in research and create an inclusive climate for uOttawa researchers and trainees whereby systemic barriers that prevent full participation of members of underrepresented groups in research are addressed. The EDI Action Plan is created through a participatory process including the realization of an environmental scan on the current status of EDI in research informed by uOttawa critical actors directly involved in accompanying research and able to influence a culture of equity in research within our university community. The Office of the Vice-President Research (OVPR) established an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee to provide advice on the development and implementation of this Action Plan.
The Action Plan will build on foundational EDI work that the Office of Vice-President Research has done over the past few years, such as the 2017-2019 Canada Research Chairs Institutional Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Action Plan and the 2019 recommendations of the OVPR IDÉE (Inclusion – Diversité – Équité – Excellence) Ad-Hoc Committee, and it will be instrumental to achieving the objectives of the uOttawa Strategic Research Plan, 2020-2025. Learn more about uOttawa’s Canada Research Chairs Equity Mission Statement and Action Plan Progress Reports
The CRC EDI Action plan as well as other EDI initiatives will be part of the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Action Plan for Research.
The EDI for Research Advisory Committee
The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee for Research (the “EDI Advisory Committee”) advises the Office of the Vice-President, Research on the development, implementation and evaluation of the uOttawa Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan for Research. The EDI Advisory Committee will follow up on the 2019 recommendations of the VPR IDÉE (Inclusion – Diversité – Équité – Excellence) Committee that the University develop an EDI Action Plan for Research.
The EDI Advisory Committee is chaired by the Assistant Vice-President, Research Operations and Strategies, who is the OVPR Champion for EDI in Research.
- Advise on EDI priorities and objectives, ensuring alignment with the Research Strategic plan and other university EDI initiatives, such as the University’s participation in the Dimensions pilot;
- Identify EDI-related barriers that impact the recruitment, retention and advancement of researchers (focusing on members of the underrepresented groups) of uOttawa and its affiliated institutes and recommend strategies to address these barriers;
- Advise on the design and promotion of training and education programs (both mandatory and voluntary) and materials related to EDI;
- Advise on communication and awareness campaigns, tools, prizes and recognitions, or activities to promote EDI in research;
- Recommend methods, data collection activities, and analytical perspectives by which progress and performance can be measured, monitored, reviewed, and communicated;
- Ensure liaison and strong communications with key stakeholder groups (researchers, trainees, faculties, OVPR, central services);
- Foster collaboration with academic and non-academic representatives of underrepresented or disadvantaged groups who may benefit from or participate in research conducted at uOttawa and its affiliated institutes;
- Advise on strategies that influence an institutional culture that promotes EDI in research.
Members shall be appointed for a term of one (1) year and can serve up to three (3) consecutive terms.