Research Account at the University of Ottawa

A new research account is opened for all external and internal funding opportunities that are successful.

Types of Research Accounts

The University of Ottawa has three types of research accounts:

  1. External Account: An external account is created for all awards received from the Tri-Councils, contracts, sponsors, donors, and all other external agencies.
  2. Internal Account: An internal account is created for all University of Ottawa funds, Faculty funds including start-up funding, and for Research Development Programs.
  3. General Research Account: A general research account is created to hold residual funds from a research contract, honoraria from research contracts, administrative supplements, and small donations.

Fund Org Account Program (FOAP)

A FOAP is a trust account identified by a unique number assigned by a system called CCG for each research project. All research project expenses are charged to expense accounts within the FOAP.

Expense Accounts uniquely identify each type of transaction taking place within a research project. Individual expense account numbers exist for such items as salaries, equipment, materials, supplies, and travel, etc.

A separate FOAP is opened each research project and expense accounts are activated in accordance with the budget specifications. Once the FOAP has been assigned, an email notification/confirmation is provided to the Principal Investigator, Faculty/Departmental administrator and financial services.  Financial Services is the department that activates the FOAP and advances the money in the account.

Details for Opening a New Fund


  1. The faculty or Service sends the required documentation by email, with all signatures needed, to Research Management Services (RMS) for approval; signed RE form and/or other appropriate form; required documentation (copy of all correspondence, forms or other documents which will help the evaluation by RMS); copy of official decision.
  2. RMS analyzes the file, creates a new fund in  eAwards and confirms the transaction for the transfer to the funds by sending a new NOD to the Principal Investigator, Faculty and Financial Resources.
  3. Financial Resources approves the new fund to allow the transfer from the Faculty or Service and confirms that the fund is now active.
  4. The faculty or service transfers the funds by a journal entry.
  5. The faculty confirms that the transfer has been done by sending an email which includes the journal entry number to the following address indicating the subject as « JOURNAL ENTRY – XXXXXX » (research funds). Financial Services will not advance the budget if an email is not sent confirming the transfer of funds.
  6. Financial Resources advances the budget



  1. CONTRACT: ISS will send the required documentation, RE form and proposal to RMS to get the account opened.
    GRANT: RMS will received the required documentation by the researcher, the agency, etc as well as the signed RE form and proposal from the faculty to get the account opened.
  2. RMS analyzes the file, creates a new fund in eAwards and confirms the transaction for the transfer to the fund by sending a new NOD to the Principal Investigator, Faculty and Financial Resources.
  3. Financial Resources approves the new fund and makes an advance for the total amount of the project.
  4. Financial Resources advances the budget.

Eligibility of Expenses

Research funds are provided based on the applicant's estimate of the research expenditures. Funds must be used only for expenditures directly related to the research activities of the grantee and not be used for space renovation or construction, for the purchase of laboratory furniture or other permanent equipment normally supplied by the University unless the approved budget specifically includes these costs.


When hiring research assistants, the Principal Investigator must fill out the appropriate form in accordance with the Faculty's established procedure. The form is then sent to Human Resource Services who will provide salaries and fringe benefits to the FOAP for a period not exceeding 12 months, or until the FOAP's financial end date, whichever comes first.

Please contact your faculty for more information on hiring procedures.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You must make sure that you have sufficient funds to cover the salary and social benefits of an employee before hiring.  The HR in Research page provide researchers and research managers with tools supporting hiring decisions.

Travel Expenses

When planning a research trip, the Associate Dean (Research) must be advised at least 20 days before the scheduled departure (paragraph of the Collective Agreement). A written authorization from the Dean or Associate Dean (Research) is required in accordance with the Faculty's requirements.

In particular cases, travel advances will be available. A Request for Travel Advance, "A-" form (available at your department and faculty) must be completed at least 15 days before departure.

Within 10 days of returning, a Request for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses, "R-" form (available at your department and faculty) must be completed and given to the appropriate administration officer. All original receipts must be submitted.

Advances on travel expenses will not be made unless previous advances for travel expenses have been justified by completing the reimbursement for travel expenses form.

For more details, please consult the Policy 21 in the Manual of Policies and Procedures of the University of Ottawa.

Other Expenses

The University has two purchasing systems: the decentralized system including 350 decentralized agents, and the centralized system. The organization and operation of both systems is the responsibility of the Director of Materials Management Services.

Through the decentralized system the Director of Materials Management Services delegates a part of his or her purchasing authority to appointed agents from Services or Faculties for purchases under $5,000.00. The centralized purchasing system provides for purchases in excess of $5,000.00 and for products and services which are not considered decentralized, and are restricted to Materials Management Services staff only.

Small Purchases

Small purchases are made through the decentralized system and range from $0 to $5,000. Certain faculties and services may require approval from the Administrative Officer but the only approval generally needed is that of the decentralized buyer. One should consult the Department or Faculty to inquire about the proper procedure to follow.

Large Purchases

Large purchases, also known as centralized purchases, start at $5,000 and require the approval of the Materials Management Services' personnel. Certain faculties and services may also require an approval from the Dean or Director for centralized purchases.

For purchases over $125,000, the Director will need to solicit the confirmation of such a decision from the Administrative Committee (rule 36 of the Manual of Policies and Procedures of the University of Ottawa).

Please contact Procurement Services / Research Sector for help with your research related purchases.

Back to top