Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) is officially launched. Please check our internal deadlines to avoid missing important dates.
2020-2021 Vanier Award winners
2019-2020 Vanier Award winners
2018-2019 Vanier Award winners
2017-2018 Vanier Award winners
The scholarship has a value of $50,000 per year for three years. The Vanier competition is based on the following three selection criteria:
- Academic Excellence;
- Research Potential;
Criteria for selecting applications
Applications will be reviewed against the following three equally weighted selection criteria, and ranked:
- Academic excellence, as demonstrated by past academic results and by transcripts, awards and distinctions;
- Research potential, as demonstrated by the candidate's research history, his/her interest in discovery, the proposed research and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the field, and any anticipated outcomes;
- Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability), as demonstrated by the candidate’s personal statement, leadership reference letters, referees assessments and CCV.
Submitting an application file
A candidate must complete the following steps:
Access ResearchNet to register and start filling out the application file.
Fill out the following sections and submit through ResearchNet before the September 6, 2021 internal deadline:
- Identification of Area of Research and Applicant
- Degree Information
- Canadian Common CV (CCV)
- Personal Leadership Statement
- Research Contributions
- Special Circumstances (only if necessary)
- Seek two leadership reference letters - These letters will be written by people who know the candidate in a non-academic capacity, who can comment on the candidate’s leadership skills, and preferably who have not already provided another assessment of the nomination. The candidate will be responsible for attaching these letters to his/her application package.
- Official Transcripts - email them to Banting-Vanier@uottawa.ca by the internal deadline, September 6, 2021.
- Title of Research Proposal
- Lay Title and Lay Abstract (both are mandatory for the application to be considered)
- Project Overview
- Project Details
- Project Descriptors/Keywords
- Choice of Institution
- Research proposal (clearly formulated and accessible to a multi-disciplinary committee)
- Through ResearchNet contact two referees who will fill a Referee's Assessment form in ResearchNet by the internal deadline of September 6, 2021. It is strongly recommended that referees keep a PDF copy of their assessment, as in some cases the Evaluation Committee may request that some updates or improvements be made to the assessments. This would be achieved by unregistering a referee in ResearchNet and registering again the same referee (who would then receive a new request for an assessment which he/she will need to refill entirely).
- The two referees’ assessments must extensively develop on each of the three points: Section 1- Assessment of academic excellence; Section 2 - Assessment of research potential; and Section 3 – Assessment of leadership.
|Information Session||July 27, 2021 1:30 to 3:00 p.m.||Webinar in English to provide information and guidance to candidates, supervisors and referees. Link to the webinar Click here to join the meeting.|
|Information Session||July 28, 2021 1:30 to 3:00 p.m.||Webinar in French to provide information and guidance to candidates, supervisors and referees. Link to the webinar: Click here to join the meeting.|
|Internal deadline||September 7, 2021||
Deadline for applicants to submit in ResearchNet their application and send their official transcripts and Doctoral Studies Timeline Form to Banting-Vanier@uottawa.ca.
|Faculty pre-selection||September 8 - 24, 2021||Faculties validate eligibility of their applications and proceed to their evaluation and ranking with their own internal selection committee.|
|Internal selection||September 28 - October 14, 2021||
The Internal evaluation committee evaluates the files and determines the applications to be nominated for each agency.
|Selection results||October 19, 2021||
RMS informs the candidates of the committee’s decisions and provides to the recommended candidates feedback for improvement.
RMS informs the vice-deans (Graduate studies) about the selected files and invite them to solicit letters of nomination from the Department Heads to support the recommended applications.
|Application revision||October 19 – 31, 2021 at 12:00 EST||
The selected candidates improve then submit their applications in ResearchNet.
|Final revision||November 1, 2021||RMS revises the applications and letters of nomination to ensure that they continue to meet the Vanier criteria.|
|Institutional submission||November 2, 2021||RMS submits the applications through ResearchNet|
|Results||April 2022||Results expected to be released.|
I am interested in applying to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program through the University of Ottawa. How can I find a research supervisor?
You have to identify and contact directly a professor in your area of interest. To identify potential research supervisors you can use the search engines found in the Quick Links section of this webpage.
I currently hold Tri-Agency funding for my doctoral program. Am I eligible to apply to the Vanier Scholarship?
No. Students who have held or are holding Tri-Agency scholarship funding for their PhD program are not eligible for the Vanier Scholarship.
Can we get a Vanier Scholarship if we want to do our studies outside Canada?
No. The Vanier scholarship is only tenable at Canadian Universities.
I am interested in applying to the Vanier Scholarships competition through the University of Ottawa. Can I have an example of a successful application?
We are sorry. For confidentiality reasons, we can’t provide an example of a successful application. However, if you have any question related to the best practices for preparing an application, do not hesitate to contact the program coordinators at email@example.com.
I am interested in applying to the Vanier Scholarships competition through the University of Ottawa. Where should I send my transcripts?
Applicants should send their official transcripts by email to the Vanier program coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have transcripts from the University of Ottawa. Should I also send them to the program coordinators?
No. The Vanier program coordinators will get your University of Ottawa official transcripts for you.
I am a student from the University of Ottawa and I am preparing a Vanier Scholarship application to another university. Who can help me prepare my application?
You must get in contact with the university where you wish to hold your doctoral scholarship to learn about their Vanier scholarship internal selection process. They will be able to support you. In addition, you will have to contact InfoService here at the University of Ottawa to obtain the required official transcripts.
How can I upload the 2nd Leadership Reference Letter?
Both Leadership Reference Letters must be attached individually. Note that the field to upload the second Leadership Reference Letter will only appear after the first letter has been uploaded.
The Evaluation Committee recommends that one of my referees change his document. How do we proceed?
You first unregister that referee in ResearchNet then you register him again. The referee would receive a new request for an assessment by email regarding a report to complete. The referee will have to write the assessment again, therefore, it is imperative that the referees keep a copy of their original assessment.
I haven’t been selected as a University of Ottawa candidate. Can I have the reviewer’s comments?
No. As it is the case for the national program, we only provide reviewers’ comments to selected candidates.
I have problems filling the application in ResearchNet. Who can help me?
If you have technical problems, you can contact the system support team by email at email@example.com or by phone at 613-964-9080.
If you have problems understanding the program guidelines, you can contact the program coordinators at the University of Ottawa by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 613-562-5800 (7751 or 2771).
I am a Vanier Scholarship recipient. What are the next steps for me?
First, you need to accept the offer of the scholarship in ResearchNet and inform the Research Management Services at email@example.com once it is done.