Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) is officially launched. For more information, please see the sections below.
For information about the possible extension of Tri-agency scholarships and fellowships (CGS M, CGS D, agency-specific doctoral awards, PDF, Vanier CGS and Banting PDF) due to COVID-19, please visit the agencies website.
2019-2020 Vanier Award winners
2018-2019 Vanier Award winners
2017-2018 Vanier Award winners
The scholarship has a value of $50,000 per year for three years. The Vanier competition is based on the following three selection criteria:
- Academic Excellence;
- Research Potential;
Criteria for selecting applications
Applications will be reviewed against the following three equally weighted selection criteria, and ranked:
- Academic excellence, as demonstrated by past academic results and by transcripts, awards and distinctions;
- Research potential, as demonstrated by the candidate's research history, his/her interest in discovery, the proposed research and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the field, and any anticipated outcomes;
- Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability), as demonstrated by the candidate’s personal statement, leadership reference letters, referees assessments and CCV.
Submitting an application file
A candidate must complete the following steps:
Access ResearchNet to register and start filling out the application file.
Fill out the following sections and submit through ResearchNet before the September 10th, 2020 internal deadline:
- Identification of Area of Research and Applicant
- Degree Information
- Canadian Common CV (CCV)
- Personal Leadership Statement
- Research Contributions
- Special Circumstances (only if necessary)
- Seek two leadership reference letters - These letters will be written by people who know the candidate in a non-academic capacity, who can comment on the candidate’s leadership skills, and preferably who have not already provided another assessment of the nomination.The candidate will be responsible for attaching these letters to his/her application package.
- Official Transcripts - email them to Banting-Vanier@uottawa.ca by the internal deadline, September 10th, 2020
- Title of Research Proposal
- Lay Title and Lay Abstract (both are mandatory for the application to be considered)
- Project Overview
- Project Details
- Project Descriptors/Keywords
- Choice of Institution
- Research proposal (clearly formulated and accessible to a multi-disciplinary committee)
- Through ResearchNet contact two referees who will fill a Referee's Assessment form in ResearchNet by the internal deadline of September 10, 2020. It is strongly recommended that referees keep a PDF copy of their assessment, as in some cases the Evaluation Committee may request that some updates or improvements be made to the assessments. This would be achieved by unregistering a referee in ResearchNet and registering again the same referee (who would then receive a new request for an assessment which he/she will need to refill entirely).
- The two referees’ assessments must extensively develop on each of the three points: Section 1- Assessment of academic excellence; Section 2 - Assessment of research potential; and Section 3 – Assessment of leadership.
|Information Session||July 15, 2020 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.||Webinar to provide information and guidance to candidates, supervisors and referees. Join Microsoft Teams Meeting|
|Internal application||September 10, 2020||
Deadline for applicants to submit in ResearchNet their application and send their official transcripts and Doctoral Studies Timeline Form to Banting-Vanier@uottawa.ca.
|Faculty pre-selection||September 14 - September 25, 2020||
Faculties validate eligibility of their applications and proceed to their evaluation and ranking with their own internal selection committee.
|Internal selection||September 29 - October 16, 2020||The Internal evaluation committee evaluates the files and determines the applications to be nominated for each agency.|
|Selection results||October 20, 2020||
RMS informs the candidates of the committee’s decisions and provides to the recommended candidates feedback for improvement.
RMS informs the vice-deans (Graduate studies) about the selected files and invite them to solicit letters of nomination from the Department Heads to support the recommended applications.
|Application revision||October 21 – November 2, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.||
The selected candidates improve then submit their applications in ResearchNet.
The Faculties/Department Heads submit their signed nomination letters to email@example.com
|Final revision||November 2, 2020||RMS revises the applications and letters of nomination to ensure that they continue to meet the Vanier criteria.|
|Institutional submission||November 3, 2020||RMS submits the applications through ResearchNet|
|Results||April 2021||Results expected to be released.|
I am interested in applying to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program through the University of Ottawa. How can I find a research supervisor?
You have to identify and contact directly a professor in your area of interest. To identify potential research supervisors you can use the search engines found in the Quick Links section of this webpage.
I currently hold Tri-Agency funding for my doctoral program. Am I eligible to apply to the Vanier Scholarship?
No. Students who have held or are holding Tri-Agency scholarship funding for their PhD program are not eligible for the Vanier Scholarship.
Can we get a Vanier Scholarship if we want to do our studies outside Canada?
No. The Vanier scholarship is only tenable at Canadian Universities.
Can I apply to the Vanier Scholarships through the University of Ottawa if I already am a student there?
It depends. If you are a master’s student or a PhD student who also received your Master’s degree from the University of Ottawa, you must have very good reasons to stay at the University of Ottawa because this scholarship aims to recruit students from other universities and support mobility. Only exceptional candidates with a strong justification for lack of mobility will be considered for this prestigious scholarship.
If you are already a PhD student at the University of Ottawa but received your Master’s degree elsewhere, there is no problem for you to submit a Vanier Scholarship application through the University of Ottawa.
I am interested in applying to the Vanier Scholarships competition through the University of Ottawa. Can I have an example of a successful application?
We are sorry. For confidentiality reasons, we can’t provide an example of a successful application. However, if you have any question related to the best practices for preparing an application, do not hesitate to contact the program coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am interested in applying to the Vanier Scholarships competition through the University of Ottawa. Where should I send my transcripts?
Applicants should send their official transcripts by email to the Vanier program coordinators at email@example.com.
I have transcripts from the University of Ottawa. Should I also send them to the program coordinators?
No. The Vanier program coordinators will get your University of Ottawa official transcripts for you.
I am a student from the University of Ottawa and I am preparing a Vanier Scholarship application to another university. Who can help me prepare my application?
You must get in contact with the university where you wish to hold your doctoral scholarship to learn about their Vanier scholarship internal selection process. They will be able to support you. In addition, you will have to contact InfoService here at the University of Ottawa to obtain the required official transcripts.
How can I upload the 2nd Leadership Reference Letter?
Both Leadership Reference Letters must be attached individually. Note that the field to upload the second Leadership Reference Letter will only appear after the first letter has been uploaded.
The Evaluation Committee recommends that one of my referees change his document. How do we proceed?
You first unregister that referee in ResearchNet then you register him again. The referee would receive a new request for an assessment by email regarding a report to complete. The referee will have to write the assessment again, therefore, it is imperative that the referees keep a copy of their original assessment.
I haven’t been selected as a University of Ottawa candidate. Can I have the reviewer’s comments?
No. As it is the case for the national program, we only provide reviewers’ comments to selected candidates.
I have problems filling the application in ResearchNet. Who can help me?
If you have technical problems, you can contact the system support team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 613-964-9080.
If you have problems understanding the program guidelines, you can contact the program coordinators at the University of Ottawa by email at email@example.com or by phone at 613-562-5800 (7751 or 2771).
I am a Vanier Scholarship recipient. What are the next steps for me?
First, you need to accept the offer of the scholarship in ResearchNet and inform the Research Management Services at firstname.lastname@example.org once it is done.