In November 2019, the Tri-Agencies, CIHR, SSHRC and NSERC released the new Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration (The Guide) which Universities are required to adhere to and to implement by April 1, 2020. The New Guide outlines core principles (outlined below) and directives that govern post-award administration of grants funded by the Tri-Agencies, including internal research accounts.
New Guide outlines core principles include the following;
- Contribute to the direct costs of the research/activities for which the funds were awarded, with benefits directly attributable to the grant,
- Not be provided by the administering institution to their research personnel,
- Be effective and economical, and
- Not result in personal gain for members of the research team.
The new Tri-Agency guide is less directive than the previous guide. It also requires that Universities use their policies, procedures and controls, which gives more flexibility in the management of research funds.
To implement this new guide, Research Management Services and Research Finance need to hear from researchers about the barriers and the challenges that you face in the management of your research funds. This survey provides an opportunity to share suggestions regarding issues that you deem important to the management of your research funds.
We encourage you to answer the survey before January 30.
The findings of this survey and other consultations will inform how we implement the new guide. All suggestions will be considered as we strive towards making the University more agile and flexible in the administration of research funds.
Information sources you may wish to consult when you respond to this survey include the following:
- The New Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration
- Table of eligible expenses in research
- University of Ottawa policies and procedures relevant to the conduct of research
Research Management Services and Financial Ressources thank you for taking the time to complete this survey.