North America’s only bilingual university press celebrates 80 years of publishing.
In 1936, in the depths of the Great Depression, Oblate priests Raoul Leblanc and Léopold Lanctôt founded Les Éditions de l’Université d’Ottawa, which became the University of Ottawa Press in 1986. For a decade, they worked out of their bedrooms, which doubled as office space and a book repository. To say that Father Lanctôt was committed to helping the University’s professors publish their research is something of an understatement: over the course of 46 years, he published seven periodicals and hundreds of titles. Today, the University of Ottawa Press is at the forefront of academic publishing and a leader in open access. Yet it continues to fulfill its founding fathers’ mission: to shed light on the major social debates of the time.