Back to top
Completion of the Request Form
- Initial review applications (except Course Outline applications) must be completed directly in the eReviews online portal.
- Supported browsers for eReviews are Google Chrome and Firefox.
- Provide complete information and answer all questions using full sentences.
- Avoid technical jargon and explain terms.
- Label all appended documents to reflect the content (e.g., "Consent form - Focus groups").
- Additional information is available in the eReviews User Guide.
Submission of the Request Form
- The request form must be created in eReviews by the Principal Investigator of the study.
- The request form must be duly completed and approved by relevant team members (Principal Investigator and Supervisor, if applicable) by the required submission deadline (see Dates and Timelines).
- Applications submitted after the deadline, when applicable, will be delayed and reviewed the following month.
- Incomplete request forms will be returned to the researchers. If errors hinder proper understanding of content, documents will be sent back for corrections and the evaluation postponed.
Evaluation of the Request Form
- Upon receipt of the request, the content is verified and the level of risk determined. A confirmation of receipt will be sent within three days following the submission deadline.
- The request is assigned to a Protocol Officer and REB evaluators.
- The request is reviewed by the REB evaluators, the REB Chair, and the Protocol Officer.
- REB comments and feedback are compiled and sent to the researchers, at which time the researchers have six months to respond.
- Researchers must respond to the REB feedback directly in the online request form. In order to submit revised appendices (recruitment texts, consent forms, research instruments, etc.), please delete the original attachment and upload the new revised version, with tracked or highlighted changes.
- Once the request is in order, an ethics certificate will be issued and the project may begin.
Requests for Ongoing Review
- Please note that all projects submitted and approved before the launch of the eReviews system have not been merged into this new portal. Requests for continuing review (modification, renewal, closure) must continue to be submitted using the forms found in the Other Request forms section.
- For new projects submitted and approved via eReviews, requests for continuing review will also be submitted in this new portal. The request forms can be accessed on eReviews by clicking the Ethics File Number from the Researcher's Dashboard to access the Project Overview page. Additional information is available in the eReviews User Guide.