University Research Chairs
In the fall 2021, the Office of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation (OVPRI) redesigned the University Research Chairs (URC) Program to foster a culture of inclusion, diversity, equity and excellence within the uOttawa research portfolio while removing barriers for participation.
The purpose of these Chairs is to:
- recognize researchers with outstanding and sustained accomplishments in research, or those who demonstrate initial, significant achievements with exceptional future promise, while maintaining a solid teaching record; and
- provide financial support for the Chairholder’s research program, which is in addition to, and not a substitute for, the researcher’s concurrent sources of external funding.
Furthermore, key objectives of such positions of excellence focus on:
- Supporting research and knowledge creation in keeping with the University's strategic areas of research;
- Supporting the integration of the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in research;
- Supporting the strategic plan of the faculty hosting the Chair; and
- Strengthening teaching and learning at the graduate level.