Mitacs Globalink Research Award
The Mitacs Globalink Research Award provides $6,000 for senior undergraduate and graduate students to conduct 12–24-week research projects at universities overseas.
How to participate
To be eligible, a student must:
- Be registered full-time in an undergraduate or graduate program at the University of Ottawa (exchange students are not eligible);
- Undergraduate students must be in the third or fourth year of their program;
- Open to citizens or permanent residents of Canada, as well as international students.
- Have a strong academic background.
NOTE: Since this is a competitive program, priority will be given to students with academic excellence as demonstrated by their cumulative grade point average (CGPA).
The Globalink Research Award supports research at universities in the following countries:
- European Union
- United Kingdom
- Travel to other EU countries only where projects are part of the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) RISE program
- United States
STEP 1 -
Please contact email@example.com to arrange a meeting to discuss whether Mitacs Globalink Research Award is the right opportunity for you.
The timeframe to complete an application is approximately 4-6 months, so please plan accordingly.
STEP 2 -
If the Centre for Research Opportunities supports your application, then proceed with completing the application package (provided by the Centre).
NOTE: Before starting an application, make sure to learn about the application process to become a visiting student researcher at the host institution as some may charge administrative and tuition fees!
Once you're accepted
Congratulations! You will now join hundreds of other students that have benefited from the Mitacs Globalink Research Award. The following sections provide key information that will help make your research experience rewarding and successful.
NOTE: Failure to complete the following sections will result in the annulment of the award.
The next step, before going any further, is to determine whether your research project needs ethics approval by consulting the responsible conduct of research checklist.
Responsible conduct of research checklist
The pre-departure session is divided in two parts:
- During the first meeting, the Centre for Research Opportunities will provide you with a checklist of documents that you need to obtain before your departure.
- Once you have all the required documents, you will have a second meeting to go over your code of conduct and other conditions to be mindful of while you are abroad.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your pre-departure session.
Disbursement of awards
In order to proceed with the disbursement of the funds, your supervisor at the University of Ottawa will have to complete an RE form to open a research account. Once we receive your cheque, the funds will be deposited in such research account and your supervisor will be responsible to process the disbursement.
Depending on the Award allocation and breakdown section of your Mitacs application, the following applies:
- Stipend: Funds will be provided to you throughout your placement as deposits every two weeks.
- Research Costs: You will have to pay upfront, keep the receipts, and then ask for reimbursement.
- Travel and Living Expenses: You will have to pay upfront, keep all receipts, and then ask for reimbursement.