Canada Learning Initiative in China (CLIC) Research Internships
Applications are now closed.
CLIC is a university consortium established in February 2016 which is currently made up of six Canadian U15 universities: Université Laval, Queen’s University, Université de Montréal, University of Alberta, University of Calgary, and University of Ottawa. It connects Canadian students at these select universities with fully-funded and meaningful opportunities to study and research in China while earning credits towards their degrees.
Support for Each Successful Applicant
University of Ottawa:
- Guaranteed University Credit
- Travel Grant ($2,000)
The Chinese Ministry of Education:
- Waived application fees at Chinese universities
- Waived tuition
- Provide a living stipend of 3000RMB (=$600) per month
- Free accommodations
- Free medical insurance
General Research Internship Information
- Duration: 8 weeks from July 6 to August 30, 2017
- Chinese Host University: Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Language of Instruction: English
- In-Lab Instructional Hours: 20 hours per week (5 hrs of lecture and 15 hrs of lab work)
- Chinese language and culture courses: 4.5 hours per week
- Grade Distribution: Attendance (10%), Team Project (30%), Mid Term Presentation (30%); Final Written Report (30%)
- Grading: Letter grade
- Full time student at the University of Ottawa
- Have completed at least one year of an undergraduate program and demonstrate that they will be a full-time undergraduate student at the University of Ottawa in the fall of 2017
- Have a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 7.5
- Meet the specific skills required by the instructor if any for the research internship selected.
Note: If you are already receiving a scholarship from the China Scholarship Council, you will not be eligible to receive CLIC financial support.
Peruse the list of research internships.
Submit your completed application form and supporting documents by 3:00 pm on February 17, 2017, to the Office of Undergraduate Research, Tabaret Hall, room N109, 550 Cumberland, Ottawa ON, K1N6N5.
Given that the research internships will be in English, it is strongly recommended that the supporting documents also be written in English.
Supporting documents include:
- Certificate of Highest Education (High School, college, or previous degree)
- Transcripts (Office of Undergraduate Research will order the University of Ottawa Transcript for selected students)
- Study Plan: a brief outline of the courses you are taking, cultural events or places you will be visiting, and expected outcomes of your studies in China.
- Motivation Letter ((Briefly outline: why you want to study in China and at Shanghai Jiao Tong University; how the research internship fits in your academic and, if possible, life plan; what you expect to gain from the experience (knowledge and life experience)
- Recommendation Letter
- Physical Examination Record for Foreigners completed by the student
- A free form letter from a doctor attesting to the student is in good health and fit to study in China (and outlines any health issues)
- Copy of the identification page of your passport. (Please note that the passport must be valid for at least 6 more months for the visa application.)
- ID photo (similar to a passport photo)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
Successful applicants will be contacted on February 24 and will have to complete and submit and on-line application to the Chinese Scholarship Council by March 6, 2017.
Successful applicants will also have to apply for a Chinese Visa.