Canada Learning Initiative in China (CLIC) Research Internships
The purpose of CLIC is to establish a Canada-wide study-abroad initiative that creates innovative and meaningful education opportunities in China for Canadian students. CLIC operates with a collaborative framework, allowing participating Canadian universities to coordinate and engage with Chinese partners effectively as a group.
CLIC is uniquely tailored to meet the needs of Canadian students making learning opportunities in China more accessible, through significant funding options and improved credit transfers.
How to participate
Support for Each Successful Applicant
A Student Mobility Scholarship from the University of Ottawa ($1,000);
Scholarship from Ministry Of Education in China;
Waived tuition and applications fees at Shanghai Jiao Tong University
A 3000 yuan (≈ $600) per month stipend;
Free accommodation (University housing);
Free medical insurance*
*Please note that the medical insurance provided does not meet the University of Ottawa’s suggested coverage for students travelling abroad. It is strongly suggested that students who plan to participate in this program obtain their own medical and travel insurance before going to study in China.
General Research Internship Information
- Duration: 6 weeks, from July 11 to August 17, 2018.
- Chinese Host University: Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Language of Instruction: English
- In-Lab Instructional Hours: 20 hours per week (5 hrs of lecture and 15 hrs of lab work)
- Chinese language and culture courses: 3 hours per week
- Grade Distribution: Attendance (10%), Team Project (30%), Mid Term Presentation (30%); Final Written Report (30%)
- Grading: Letter grade
- Full time student at the University of Ottawa
- Have completed at least one year of an undergraduate program and demonstrate that they will be a full-time undergraduate student at the University of Ottawa in the fall of 2018
- Have a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 7.5
- Meet the specific skills required by the instructor if any for the research internship selected.
Note: If you are already receiving a scholarship from the China Scholarship Council, you will not be eligible to receive CLIC financial support.
Peruse the list of research internships.
- Download the application form.
- Fill in the application form.
- Submit your application to the Undergraduate Research Office’s CLIC Research Internship program (Tabaret Hall, room N111, 550 Cumberland, Ottawa ON, K1N 6N5)
Deadline for submission: February 26, 2018
The Office of Undergraduate Research will contact the selected participants by March 1st, 2018. (Please note that full acceptance into a research internship is conditional upon acceptance by Shanghai Jiao Tong and CLIC.)
If you are selected, the next deadlines comes up quickly, therefore we suggest that you get all the additional documents required ready prior to approval for the office.
The list of additional documents required from both partners, if selected, are as follows:
The Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC)
- Statement of Studies
- Photocopy of Passport Picture Page
- University of Ottawa transcript
- Study Plan: a brief outline of the courses you are taking, cultural events or places you will be visiting, and expected outcomes of your studies in China.
- One Recommendation Letter provided by the Undergraduate Research Office (selected students will automatically receive one by e-mail)
- Short letter confirming that your health is good enough to study in China
The Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU):
- A scan of the identification page of your passport. (The passport must be valid for at least 6 more months for the visa application.)
- ID photo (similar to a passport photo)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Copy of your most recent academic transcript
- Motivation letter (Give a brief overview of: your motivation for studying in China and at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, explain how the research internship fits into your larger degree requirements and, if possible, future plans; explain the expected outcomes (knowledge and live experience))
- Recommendation letter (written by a professor)
- Report of your past research experience (if applicable
- Language proficiency certificate (if required)
Once you have been selected, here are the following steps
- Apply to the Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC) online (click here). Make sure you have all additional documents required before applying.
Deadline for submission : March 6, 2018
Please note that the uOttawa links goes to the International office, therefore not for Research internships. Visit the Office of Undergraduate Research website for more information.
2. Apply to the Shanghai Jiao Tong University online (click here). Make sure you have all additional documents required before applying.
Deadline for submission : March 6, 2018
Please note that once you are formally accepted to a CLIC research internship you must obtain a letter of permission from your faculty. You are responsible for all costs associated with this document.