Summer Undergraduate International Research Internships (SIRI)
To be eligible, a student must:
- Have completed the second or third year of his or her undergraduate program of study at the beginning of the internship
- Have a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 7.5
- Demonstrate that they will be a full-time undergraduate student at the University of Ottawa for the fall session following the internship
Priority may be given to students who have never participated in the SIRI program.
How to apply
To participate, students must apply for one or two available internships. Students are invited to apply for up to 2 projects at each university. With the exception of the letter of intent, please submit only one copy of the application and supporting documents (regardless of the number of projects listed in the application).
Each application must include the following:
- The application form duly completed.
- An official and up-to-date transcript at all institutions other than the University of Ottawa. Your University of Ottawa transcripts will included by the Office of Undergraduate Research following your application.
- A letter of intent for each research project explaining the reasons for your interest and outlining what you hope to gain from this experience. Each letter should be addressed to the host-professor and be tailored to the project description. The letter should also explain how your past experiences and academic background qualify him or her for this internship.
- A letter of recommendation written by a professor in a sealed envelope
- A Curriculum Vitae
**In order to fill out the form on your computer, you must download it and open it in Adobe:
1. Right-click on the link to the form. 2.Choose “Save target as” and save the file on your computer. 3. Locate the file on your computer and right-click on it - Select “Open with”. 4. From the list of available program, choose Adobe Reader or its equivalent.
List of internships
The list of internships for summer 2018 at Université de Lyon in France, National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan and Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China will be made available in the Fall 2017 session.
Science and Engineering students who are interested in Shanghai but who have not found a project corresponding to their research interests amongst those offered for SIRI, should consider the ISRI program.
Please note that there are more internship projects than the number of scholarships. As such, not all of the proposed SIRI projects can be supported by a scholarship. Internships in some specific areas of research may be given priority.
The deadline to submit an application for the internships will be announced in August 2017.
The host professors will evaluate each individual application received for their internship and rank the applicants. Please note that there are more internship projects than the number of scholarships. As such, not all of the proposed SIRI projects can be supported by a scholarship. Internships in some specific areas of research may be given priority.
Expected date of disclosure of recipients: to be determined.