Summer Undergraduate International Research Internships (SIRI)
The Office of the Vice-President, Research is pleased to offer undergraduate students an international research internship program. Selected students will join a research team and complete a two to three-month internship during the summer 2017 (between May and August). These students will receive a scholarship of minimum $3000 CDN, according to the length of the stay.
How to participate
To be eligible, a student must:
- Have completed the second or third year of his or her undergraduate program of study at the beginning of the internship
- Have a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 7.5
- Demonstrate that they will be a full-time undergraduate student at the University of Ottawa for the fall session following the internship
Priority may be given to students who have never participated in the SIRI program.
How to apply
To submit an application, make a request in the Online Scholarships and Bursaries portal via uOzone. Students are responsible for submitting all required documents and ensuring that they are properly attached to each scholarship request. Only complete applications are accepted.
There are three separate SIRI awards in the Online Scholarships and Bursaries portal, one for each institution (Université de Lyon, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, and National Cheng Kung University). Students are invited to apply for up to 2 projects at each university (for a total of 6 projects). Note that a letter of intent must be prepared for each internship.
Each application must include the following:
- A copy of your unofficial transcript in PDF format (obtained from uOzone) is accepted. For all other institutions, please include a PDF scan of your official transcript.
- A letter of intent for each research project explaining the reasons for your interest and outlining what you hope to gain from this experience. Each letter should be addressed to the host-professor and be tailored to the project description. The letter should also explain how your past experiences and academic background qualify him or her for this internship.
- A letter of recommendation written by a professor in a sealed envelope (or uploaded to the Online Scholarships and Bursaries portal).
- A Curriculum Vitae (to be completed in the Online Scholarships and Bursaries).
List of internships
The list of internships for summer 2018 at Université de Lyon in France, National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan and Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China will be made available in the Fall 2017 session.
Science and Engineering students who are interested in Shanghai but who have not found a project corresponding to their research interests amongst those offered for SIRI, should consider the ISRI program.
Please note that there are more internship projects than the number of scholarships. As such, not all of the proposed SIRI projects can be supported by a scholarship. Internships in some specific areas of research may be given priority.
The host professors will evaluate each individual application received for their internship and rank the applicants. Please note that there are more internship projects than the number of scholarships. As such, not all of the proposed SIRI projects can be supported by a scholarship. Internships in some specific areas of research may be given priority.
Expected date of disclosure of recipients: to be determined.