Research administrative assistant
Research Administrative Assistant - NR 3
Provides general administrative, operational, coordination and technical support for the conduct of research projects.
Typical tasks and duties:
Administrative, office management and front desk operations
- Develops, implements and maintains physical and electronic file management systems.
- Carries out general office administration and clerical responsibilities such as photocopying, faxing, filing, ordering supplies, preparing mail-outs, etc.
- Coordinates and arranges meetings, teleconferences and other research related events; takes and prepares minutes.
- Carries out reception, phone and mail distribution.
- Drafts and prepares routine correspondence.
Interacting with study subjects
- Assists with subject recruitment.
- Ensures consent forms are signed and filed.
- Contacts research participants or project staff by phone, in person or by e-mail.
- Schedules subjects.
- Receives subjects.
- Screens subjects according to pre-determined criteria.
- Administers routine questionnaires.
- Receives and processes samples, information and/or data in accordance with defined study protocols.
- Follows up with subjects.
Research related administrative duties
- Enters data from forms and documents into databases and other documents including coding, entering, transcribing, recording, storing, or maintaining information in written or electronic/magnetic form.
- Prepares and/or assists with the preparation, writing, translation (English and French), of key documents including ethics applications, project reports, manuscripts for publication, abstracts, scientific posters and presentations using word processing, spreadsheet, or presentation software.
- Maintains and updates reference databases, contact and distribution lists.
- Maintains and updates subject data files.
- Assists project investigators and research staff to plan and organize meetings with subjects and for data collection activities.
- Assists with the clerical aspects of preparing of grant applications, including management of CV’s.
- Provides accounting updates.
- Tracks expenses such as participant reimbursement.
- Tracks laboratory and other operational supplies; requesting or acquiring equipment or supplies necessary for the project.
- Prepares purchase orders for approval and enters information into purchasing databases.
- Assists with training new staff and students in the lab.
Communication and liaison activities
- Manages and responds to project related email and project-related information requests.
- Acts as a central contact person for investigators, subjects, research staff, and health care professionals.
- Assists with web site maintenance and other project communication vehicles (blogs, newsletters, etc.).
- Distributes project-related documents and information.
Assists with any other duties required by the research project or management of the research lab.
Knowledge, skills, education and experience:
- High School Diploma; completion of postsecondary training in office and administration preferred.
- Minimum of two years office administration experience, preferably in a research environment.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and highly refined interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Superior accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong computer proficiency using MS Office applications (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint), email, and electronic scheduling software.
- Ability to build harmonious working relationships with clients, co-workers, and to interact with the public.