Completing the ethics application form
- Download the most recent version of the Ethics Application form.
- To avoid technical issues, ensure you download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat.
- Provide complete information and answer all questions using full sentences.
- Avoid technical jargon and explain terms.
Submitting the ethics application
- The application form must be duly completed, signed and dated by all research team members (an incomplete or unsigned ethics application will be returned to the researchers).
- One copy of the full application must be submitted, including all relevant documents (e.g., recruitment texts, consent forms, research instruments, approvals from other REBs, thesis committees approvals, debriefing texts, etc.).
- If errors hinder proper understanding of content, documents will be sent back for corrections and the evaluation postponed.
- Applications are to be submitted either by mail or in person to the Ethics Office on the first business day of the month, excluding July, and will be evaluated by the REB that same month. Electronic copies will not be accepted at this time.
- Within three days following the submission deadline, a confirmation of receipt will be sent.
Evaluation of the ethics application
- Upon receipt of the application, the content is verified and the level of risk determined.
- The application is assigned to a Protocol Officer and REB evaluators.
- The application is reviewed by the REB evaluators, the REB Chair, and the Protocol Officer.
- REB comments and feedback are compiled and sent to the researchers, at which time the researchers have six months to respond.
- In responding, the researchers must provide a letter responding to each point raised by the REB and submit a revised version of all the documents with highlighted changes.
Once the application is in order, an ethics certificate (PDF version) will be emailed and the project may start.