Submission and review
Any research project involving human participants or human biological material which is conducted within the jurisdiction or under the auspices of the University of Ottawa, whether it is funded or not and regardless of where it is conducted, must receive ethics approval from a University Research Ethics Board (REB) prior to the start of the project. N.B. REB review and approval is necessary even if the project received prior approval from another REB, unless there is an existing agreement between the institutions involved.
Who should submit an ethics application?
- Members of the teaching staff, for their own research;
- Ph.D. and Master's students (and their supervisor) or students (and their supervisor) preparing honors or fourth year research projects;
- Professors who, in the context of their courses, require students to conduct independent research projects requiring the participation of human participants;
- For research activities undertaken as part of an undergraduate or graduate course and designed to provide training in research, the REB may conduct an evaluation based on its analysis of the course outline. A consent form model must be attached to the course outline application. Responsibility for carrying out a detailed ethical assessment of specific projects lies with those responsible for such courses;
- Professors or students making secondary use of data originally collected for other purposes.
Upcoming submission dates for 2017-2018:
- December 1
- January 8
- February 1
- March 1
- April 2
As of August 2017, applications for ethics approval are to be submitted by the first working day of each month.
EREVIEWS: The new online submission portal, eReviews, has now been launched with the School of Psychology,the School of Social Work, the Faculty of Education, the Telfer School of Management, the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Health Sciences. All new ethics applications from researchers in these units should be submitted via eReviews. Please contact the Ethics Office (email@example.com) if you have not received prior communications to this effect or if you have any questions about the process.
For all other units, one hardcopy of each document can be submitted either in person or by mail to the following address: 550 Cumberland (Tabaret Hall), room 154, Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5. For these units, electronic submissions are not accepted at this time.
The Research Ethics Boards meet every month except during the month of July.